American Basin & Animas Forks Wildflower Safari
July 13-15, 2021 – Silverton, CO
$595 for all 3 days
2 in stock
No Camping Necessary! We will meet each day in Silverton, CO and drive to our shooting locations.
American Basin, Animas Forks Ghost Town, and the San Juan Mountains
Grand vistas, sunrise and sunsets, Colorado wildflowers and 4-wheeling drive roads and back country camping, what more could a adventurous photographer ask for?
We will begin our route at the grand American Basin where we will be able to capture images of plentiful Colorado wildflowers among crystal clear waterfalls against crag mountain peaks. In the following days, we will traverse over mountain passes into Colorado's back country and visit the past in Animas Forks Ghost Town.
But the fun does not stop there. We will also climb to the top of the Alpine Loop where we will find pristine alpine lakes surrounded by beds of glorious wildflowers.
We will also be teaching classes throughout this workshop. Learn how to capture sunrise images with emotion and depth. Learn how to use ND filters to bring out the poetry in a waterfall and learn how to capture beautiful images that jump off the canvas.
RECOMMENDED CAMERA EQUIPMENT:
- DSLR camera will be required for this workshop
- Day-pack-style camera bag
- Sturdy/lite tripod
- Remote shutter release
- Extra camera batteries (these tend to discharge faster at higher/colder climates)
- Extra storage cards (there will be lots to shoot, so bring plenty!)
- Wide-angle and telephoto lenses. A macro lens is also highly recommended
- Neutral Density filters (highly recommended)
CLOTHING & GEAR:
Please note that ANY type of weather can be encountered during this time of year at these elevations and locations, including rain, snow, and wind. Dressing in layers is the best solution since it could be warm during the days, but below freezing at night. Make sure you also have sturdy hiking shoes, and hiking poles are also recommended. Please check back here often since things may be added to this list as we get closer to the workshop dates.
- Sturdy and comfortable hiking shoes/boots with appropriate socks (I love wool or smart wool socks as they help reduce moisture and they dry quicker when airing out to dry)
- Cold weather jacket (for night time temperatures) and/or light jacket/windbreaker (for day time use)
- A towel or two
- Insect repellent
- Hiking poles (some trails may be a little rocky)
- Food and snacks (trail mix, nuts, energy bars, protein, protein, protein). Please bring enough to cover you for the 3 days we will not see any services. Day one and day four we'll have the opportunity for stopping at stores
- Water (although we will be providing the water, you will need the containers to carry at least 2 quarts with you while hiking)
- Wildflower guidebooks (for identification)
- Please bring your own food for meals and snacks. We will be traveling to locations ideal for sunsets and may not return until after dark
- Please bring snacks to eat for each day
- We will have coolers to store snacks, please label your items with your name
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
- All transportation along the mountain passes and trails
- Water (including hot water for your dehydrated meals)
- Fun, friendship, and a love of photography!
Full payment is required. Once payment has been made, no refunds will be given unless the workshop is cancelled by American Photo Treks.
Please note you will be required to sign a liability waiver. All instructors are first-aid trained.
2 in stock