Colorado Wildflower Photography Workshop – American Basin and More
July 16-19, 2020
Reserve your spot for $250.00* Total workshop price is only $795.00.
You will be billed the remainder prior to the workshop.
* The reservation fee is non-refundable
6 in stock
Do you want the same old wildflower photos taken on a trail with 1000 of your closest friends? Or this year or do you want exordinary photos of wildflowers blooming in gorgeous alpine meadows between pristine mountain waterfalls near the top of spectacular crag peaks? Normally, you'd need a rugged 4x4, camping gear and tons of planning to get those shots. But if you join American Photo Treks American Basin Wildflower workshop, you can let us do most of the hard work and you just focus on photos and adventure!
We have years of experience with Canon, Nikon and Sony Camera systems, so we can provide in-depth assistance with your particular camera.
Start Thursday July 16th 2020 @ 6:00am
End Sunday July 19th 2020 @ 6:00pm
The workshop will take place in the Lake City, Colorado and the Silverton, Colorado area but we are initially meeting in Colorado Springs and provide transportation from there.
Limited to 7 participants. We are driving you.
Type of photography adventure:
Tent camping and 4x4!
- David Soldano (Sony)
- Ken Childress (Nikon)
- Lars Leber (Canon)
The Photography Workshop:
SUMMER ALPINE WILDFLOWER ADVENTURE
American Basin, Animas Forks Ghost Town, and the San Juan Mountains
Please note that this workshop involves camping. If you don’t have your own tent, we will provide it. This year APT is also providing BREAKFAST and DINNER!!
Round trip transportation from Colorado Springs is also included.
Grand vistas, sunrise and sunsets, Colorado wildflowers, 4-wheel drive roads and back country camping, what more could a photographer ask for?
We have expanded our 4-wheel drive routes where we will be camping for three nights under the night sky, along the Alpine Loop and other off-road camp sites.
We will begin our route at the grand American Basin where we will be able to capture images of plentiful Colorado wildflowers among crystal clear waterfalls against crag mountain peaks. In the following days, we will traverse over mountain passes into Colorado’s back country and visit the past at Animas Forks Ghost Town.
But the fun doesn’t stop there. We will also climb to the top of the Alpine Loop where we will find pristine alpine lakes surrounded by beds of glorious wildflowers.
We will also be teaching classes throughout this workshop. Learn how to capture sunrise images with emotion and depth. Learn how to use ND filters to bring out the poetry in a waterfall and learn how to capture beautiful HDR images that jump off the canvas.
RECOMMENDED CAMERA EQUIPMENT:
• DSLR camera will be required for this workshop
• Day-pack-style camera bag
• Sturdy/lite tripod
• Remote shutter release
• Extra camera batteries (these tend to discharge faster at higher/colder climates)
• Extra storage cards (there will be lots to shoot, so bring plenty!)
• Wide-angle and telephoto lenses. A macro lens is also highly recommended
• Neutral Density filters (highly recommended)
CLOTHING & GEAR:
Please note that ANY type of weather can be encountered during this time of year at these elevations and locations, including rain, snow, and wind. Dressing in layers is the best solution since it could be warm during the days, but below freezing at night. Make sure you also have sturdy hiking shoes, and hiking poles are also recommended. Please check back here often since things may be added to this list as we get closer to the workshop dates.
APT can provide your tent, sleeping bag and mat. If you chose to bring your own camping gear, this is what you’ll need:
• Sleeping bag (Please bring your own sleeping bag, a 15 to 25 deg bag is recommended – I’d rather be too hot than too cold – an extra blanket may be useful)
• A sleeping pad is highly recommended, as we will be sleeping on hard, rocky, mountain ground (Please don’t bring a cot or large items as we are limited to the space in our vehicles)
• A small tent (please DO NOT bring a large family-size tent as campsite space could be limited). – If you don’t have your own tent, we have a couple extras for you to use, but they will be in short supply.
• Sturdy and comfortable hiking shoes/boots with appropriate socks (I love wool or smart wool socks as they help reduce moisture and they dry quicker when airing out to dry)
• A hat and sunglasses. The sun is very stark and unforgiving at these altitudes.
• Sun Block (see above)
• Cold weather jacket (for night time temperatures) and/or light jacket/windbreaker (for day time use)
• A towel or two
• Insect repellent
• Hiking poles (some trails may be a little rocky)
• Food and snacks (trail mix, nuts, energy bars, protein!, protein!, protein!). Please bring enough to cover you for the 2 days we won’t see any services. Day one and day four we’ll have the opportunity for stopping at stores
• Water (although we will be providing the water, you will need the containers to carry at least 2 quarts with you while hiking)
• Any medications you need
• Plastic garbage bags (for dirty clothes)
• Wildflower guidebooks (for identification)
• APT will provide coffee, breakfast and dinner at the campground.
• Please bring your own food for lunch and snacks. We will be traveling to locations ideal for sunsets and may not return until after dark
• Please bring snacks to eat for each day
• We will have coolers to store snacks, please label your items with your name
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
• All transportation from and back to Colorado Springs, Colorado
• Coffee, Breakfast and Dinner
• Tent (unless you prefer to bring your own)
• Water (including hot water for your dehydrated meals)
• Toilet paper
• Camp stoves
• Ice Chests
• Cooking utensils and cups
• First aid kits
• Fun, friendship, and a love of photography!
Important, please read!
Please note you will be required to sign a liability waiver. All instructors are first-aid trained.
Class B Workshop
These are workshops that take place over a two to three-day period, usually at a location that will require some travel for the participants. Refunds are given if the participant cancels no later than eight weeks prior to the scheduled workshop. If cancellation occurs within the eight-week period prior to the workshop, a refund will be given if the spot is able to be filled by another participant. All refunds are subject to a 10% cancellation fee.
Sign up for this photography workshop now:
6 in stock