Night Photography at the Paint Mines
May 31 2019 @ 7:30 pm - June 1 2019 @ 7:30 am$160.00
NIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY AT THE PAINT MINES
The Paint Mines Interpretive Park is in Calhan, CO just a few minutes east of Colorado Springs. It is named for the colorful clay that was collected by American Indians to make paint. There is evidence of a human presence here as far back as 9000 years.
While the Paint Mines provides many very unique views during the day, it is also a popular spot for night and Milky Way photography. In the past, the Paint Mines has been officially been closed at night. Recently, the El Paso County Parks Department has implemented a permit system that now allows photographers to photograph the Paint Mines at night.
You are invited to join American Photo Treks for a night of photographing this unique location.
Post Processing Class:
After capturing our images at the Paint Mines, we will move to a classroom where we will demonstrate our post-processing techniques. We’ll show you how to bring out the color and depth of the night sky against this unique landscape.
What you need:
- Camera (capable of ISO 3200+)
- Fast lens (f/2.8 or faster), wide angle ideal
- Shutter release
- Dress warmly in layers
Friday night / Saturday morning May 31 – June 1, 2019.
- Please understand the weather can be somewhat unpredictable. We will make our best judgement by noon on Thursday before the workshop to determine if the conditions will be favorable for night photography during the workshop.
- If we have to cancel the workshop due to weather, the workshop will be rescheduled and you will have the option to request a refund, or be automatically RSVP’d for the rescheduled Meetup.
- It is suggested that carpooling be done if possible. This will be a late night, so company while driving increases safety. We are not organizing transportation for this outing.
- We will be assisting with composition, exposure, etc. to help ensure that you return with Milky Way photographs you’ll be happy with. We are familiar with Canon, Nikon, and Sony cameras. It is assumed that you know the basics of your camera operation.
- We will be sending out recommended shooting settings prior to the workshop. Please test them on your camera and lens prior to the workshop.
- A post-processing class will be offered the morning after the workshop concludes.
- After the workshop, a link to a short processing video will be sent to all attendees to give you a starting point for processing your images from the night.
A full refund will be given if cancellation is made no later than two weeks, May 17, 2019 by 9:00 pm, prior to the workshop. After that, no refunds will be given unless your spot is filled. If your spot can be filled, a full refund will be given. Note: If you choose to pay via Stripe, your refund will be less the 3% processing fee imposed by Stripe.
If American Photo Treks has to cancel the workshop due to weather or another factor, a full refund will be issued to all attendees.
The weather in Colorado can be unpredictable. We will be watching the conditions closely the day prior and day of the workshop. Please be watching your email for updates earlier in the day prior to the workshop time.
If we make the decision to proceed with the workshop, it is because we expect conditions to be favorable for photographing the Milky Way. In some cases, there may be cloud cover when the workshop starts. If this is the case, it is because we expect conditions to clear. It may take a couple of hours for this to occur. If you leave early due to conditions and the conditions improve, no refunds or other consideration will be given.
You will be required to read, sign, and return the American Photo Treks LLC Liability Waiver. The Parks Department requires a copy of the waiver 10 days in advance of the workshop, so please return it promptly.
8 people are attending Night Photography at the Paint Mines